Sunday, September 19, 2004

Who do you love? A mwah too far

I’m not entirely sure when it happened, but at some point in the recent past, kissing emerged as an acceptable way to greet people in the UK. While they may have been at it for an age on the Continent, over here our natural reticence and emotional frigidity spared us from having to lock our lips onto some stranger’s clammy cheek at every social gathering. But not any more. Now we’re expected to snog any Tom, Dick or Harry we may encounter, regardless of how physically attractive we may or may not find them.

If I don’t know someone well enough to want to give them a hug when I see them, I certainly don’t want to be kissing them. And it’s not even like the whole thing is some beautiful experience from start to finish: the ritual is embarrassing, awkward and, in the very worst cases, sloppy.

First, there’s the problem of trying to establish who you’re actually expected to kiss. Those times when you’re surrounded by friends plus one or two people you barely know, or have only just met, and you find yourself either awkwardly proffering a cheek to mwah, or just standing back and providing an apologetic half wave and a grimace. That’s bad enough, but in a working environment it’s even worse. Are you obliged to kiss work colleagues when saying goodbye in the pub on Friday night? What about those you deal with from other companies?

What’s the matter with an amicable arm pat or handshake? It’s not that I’m incapable of showing affection. Far from it, I enjoy a good kiss and a cuddle with my favourite people. There’s nothing like a good grope among close friends to bring you all together. No, my issue is with kissing a person without first knowing his/her provenance. The person could have come from anywhere, for god’s sake. Who’s to say you won’t be kissing them one night only to see them on Crimewatch the next? And you can guarantee that the one time I decide to take the plunge and pucker up to bid farewell to the entire room, I’ll find myself lunging towards some emotionally retarded wet fish who’ll stiffen like a board and leave me feeling foolish and ashamed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vanesita said...

I agree, it's just not necessary and should be stopped. I get really annoyed when I am expected to kiss loads of hairy men I don't even know. My suggestions are to:

a)grasp the victim's shoulder firmly
b)go forward in a kissing cheek position
c)make the required 'mwah' sound
d)yet fail to make any facial contact whatsoever

Dahling!

6:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly, as Vanesita said, the air kiss is the only way. If you make contact, one or other of you is bound to have too much wet involved at some point.

Hey, I just noticed you have my site down as 'gone but not forgotten'. Thanks! But I'm ... erm ... not actually gone....

Vanessa
http://upsaid.com/sarsparilla

12:54 pm  
Blogger Shinykatie said...

Ah yes, I found you again the other day whilst mooching about on Upsaid. I meant to add you to my blogroll, but as you can see I am crap at updating my blog. You'd think I'd have more energy since it's my first proper one. (Don't count www.shinyshiny.tv)

4:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home