Thursday, October 14, 2004

It's not my party

During university, I always suffered the gnawing certainty that whichever hall party or club night I elected to attend for the evening it would always turn out to be: one sad loser in a cowboy hat and gingham shirt, dejectedly sipping cheap white wine out of a split plastic cup, three fucking balloons, and Now That's What I Call Party Music Vol. III on the sound system. No matter where I went I was always sure that there was a better party going on somewhere else that I didn't know about; there was a cooler club out there that I hadn't heard of ; that there were better people to hang out with than this ginger amphetamine-induced psychotic and her stoned humourless twat of a boyfriend.

Now I'm older I no longer attend hideous parties in a desperate bid to make better friends than the aforementioned nodding, gurning drug-addled personality vacuums that blighted my existence, and have embraced my misanthropy by finding a job that allows me to sit all day in my pyjamas with only my cat and my broadband internet connection for company. The only problem is that I now feel the same misgivings about whichever blogs I'm following or whichever websites I'm reading. No matter how long I spend going boss-eyed online, I always feel that there's other cooler, more popular blogs out there that everyone's commenting on and no one's told me about; that there's a whole load of forums that I should be hanging out on and adding my witty thoughts to; that there's an excellent online magazine that I could be religiously reading.

Either that or the internet is being run by one sad loser in a cowboy hat and gingham shirt.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant post, M. Raconteur!

Sarsparilla

11:19 pm  
Blogger Inspector Sands said...

Amen to that, although the internet is really being run by someone's spotty little brother.

10:44 am  
Blogger Vanesita said...

Actually, Joyful, I have a similar problem. Mine is that, no matter what I am doing, I feel that I should be doing something else. If I am working, I wish I was relaxing. If I am drinking, I feel that really I should be studying. If I am eating lunch, I know it's high time to get to work. Why can't we just live in the moment, dammit? Right, I'm off, I have to stop wasting time on the sodding internet.

6:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not that terrible...
But you did miss the Penge Blog
http://guil.eu.org/pengeblog

8:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had a guy in a cowboy hat at your parties? I would have loved a guy in a cowboy hat...

Benzaemon

8:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home